The CRA has approved two programs that run on your Windows PC or laptop that calculate your 2013 income taxes and let you NETFILE the results for free. Earlier this year, I downloaded one of the programs, called StudioTax 2013. Today I am downloading the other program which is called GenuTax Standard 2013.
How to Use GenuTax Standard 2013 to NETFILE Your Taxes by April 30, 2014: Part 1: Get the Program
I will be writing more articles about using the software to do your tax math and how to NETFILE your return once you’ve finished and you’re sure your return is correct. This article describes how to get the software onto your computer.
GenuTax Standard 2013 is available in editions to run on
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
The program is about 40 MB.
Like StudioTax, GenuTax isn’t for everyone. It lists some restrictions as
- It is not suitable for a farmer using the AgriStability or AgriInvest programs.
- It is not suitable if you run a business which had its permanent establishment outside of the province or territory where you were resident on December 31, 2013.
- It is not suitable for reporting a Nova Scotia Research and Development Tax Credit Recapture.
- It’s not a great program for Quebec residents because it cannot be used to file the Quebec provincial income tax return.
How to Get the GenuTax Standard Program for Free to Calculate Your 2013 Income Taxes
To Download the GenuTax Standard Program
- Open your internet browser, and go to http://www.genutax.ca/Default.aspx
- Read the information and if you’re ready, click on the link called Click here to download and install this version.
- There is a list of links each named after a Windows operating system. To download the software, click on the link for the operating system you are using.
For example, I clicked on XP.
- A page of information about downloading and installing the program will open. Read through it. Then look for the link near the beginning that is called Download GenuTax Standard. Click on that link.
- In the dialog box, click on the Save File button.
- Navigate to the folder within which you want to save the program.
For example, I navigated to my Taxes folder.
Then click on the Save button.
- If you saved the program
- in your Desktop directory, it will put an icon on your screen called GTStandardSetupV140.exe.
- in a regular folder, go to that folder and look for the file called GTStandardSetupV140.exe.
Either way, when you are ready to install the program you will want to double click on the icon.
To Install the Program Files for GenuTax Standard 2013
- Open the directory where you saved the file, and double click on the GTStandardSetupV140.exe file.
NOTE: If you open your folder too quickly, you may see two files named. This is while the download is still in progress. Wait until you have a blue icon with two shark fins and a crescent moon before double clicking.
(Do you want to guess how I know this? Yep, I did.)
- The InstallShield Wizard will open. Read the greeting and click on the Next button.
- Review the License Agreement. Note that if you mess up your taxes you cannot blame anyone except yourself. (Remember: you get what you pay for and GenuTax Standard is free!)
- If you’re grown up enough to handle your own taxes responsibly, select the radio button for I accept the terms in the license agreement.
- If not, click on the radio button for I do not accept the terms in the license agreement.
- Click on the Next button.
- If you agree with installing the program in the suggested directory, click on the Next button.
- Click Install.
- If desired, click to select
- Launch GenuTax Standard and/or
- Show the Read Me file
Then click the Finish button.
I strongly recommend you make a donation if you use the program to file your taxes. Info is at https://www.genutax.ca/Donate.aspx
- In case you’d like to check out the (free) competition: How to Download and Install StudioTax Software to Calculate and File your 2013 Canadian Income Taxes Online for Free
Have you downloaded this year’s GenuTax Standard? Did all go well? Please share your experiences with a comment.