After my teenage relative finished applying for a Tangerine chequing account online, he took his id to a Canada Post outlet nearby along with the Canada Post DSS Barcode provided by Tangerine. The postal employee checked the id and then had my relative sign his name so that Tangerine will have a sample signature for cheque comparisons. Twenty-four hours later we were ready to complete the setup of the new Tangerine chequing account.
What Else Was Required to Activate the Account?
After waiting for the authorization to complete, my 16-year-old relative completed setting up their Tangerine account.
Here’s how to do that:
- Go to the Tangerine website.
- Click on the I’m a Client, let me in! tab.
- When prompted, type in the PIN you chose when creating the account.
Creating Your Double Safe Feature
Many criminals will send you email asking you to click through and sign in to your bank account. They may have copied graphics such as those for Tangerine onto their phony website. One way to reduce this risk is for the Tangerine computer running its website to ask you to verify your id as part of your sign in using information that it displays. So this Double Safe feature is to help you be sure you really are signing into the legitimate Tangerine website.
The website will display a photo which you have previously picked. If it doesn’t, it isn’t the Tangerine website.
The website will also display a phrase or sentence which you have previously typed in. If it doesn’t, it isn’t the Tangerine website.
So this step is when you choose your photo and create your phrase or sentence.
- The program will ask you to set up a Double Safe feature. Read the information and click on the Next button.
- You can choose from quite a large selection of photos. They are sorted by categories: if you want, you can click to see photos that fit into that category. You can click on the View More link to see additional images.
- When you see an image you don’t dislike that you want to use, click on it, then click on Next.
- In the Your Phrase text box, type a saying or phrase that you will know you created. For example, you might not want to use TGIF because other people might guess and use that phrase.
- You can change your photo and your phrase later if you decide you don’t like them.
- Once you type your phrase, click on the Next button.
Setting Your Personal Security Questions
Next you will be prompted to create three security questions.
- From the drop-down list, select a question.
- Type the answer to the question in the text box.
- Repeat for the other two questions.
- Click on the Next button.
Review Your Information
Read and review your info. If it looks ok, click on the Save button.
Sign In to Make Sure It’s All Working
Tangerine will have signed you out. To check everything is now working, start over again.
- Click on the tab: I’m a Client, let me in!
- Type in your Client number and your PIN and click Next.
- You will be prompted to answer the question: “Were you born in the USA?” This is a tax-related question.
- If appropriate, click on the No button.
- Now you should be able to click on View my Accounts from the list on the left side of the screen. Your chequing account should be listed.
Your account will have no money in it, though, because you didn’t mail in a cheque!
How to Put Money Into Your New Tangerine Chequing Account
Most people would now have to wait until they receive their bank card in the mail before they can make their first deposit into their Tangerine chequing account.
My relative, however, had a better idea. My relative gave me $100 in cash. I then used the free Tangerine email Money Transfer to send them $100 from my Tangerine account by email. My teenaged relative deposited that $100 into their new Tangerine chequing account.
How Soon Will I Get My Tangerine Signup Bonus $50?
Of course, my relative was curious when the signup bonus would be deposited. (He had used an Orange Key that was worth $50 if he deposited $100 in his first Tangerine account ever.)
The bonus came in the morning after he deposited the $100. That’s fast service: and easy money!
When Will my Tangerine Debit Card Arrive?
Of course just as he applied to open his chequing account, Canada Post began a labour dispute. The race is on to see if he will receive his debit card before the mail delivery stops, in July 2016. Fingers crossed.
Ordering the First Free Set of Tangerine Cheques
Because at any time Tangerine could start charging for the first book of 50 cheques, I recommended my relative order the free book right away. He can store the cheques in a safe place until he needs to use them. (I’ve explained how to order cheques from Tangerine in another article.)
So it’s all set up. Now to get that job that requires a bank account for direct deposit of pay!
- How to Order Cheques from Tangerine
- How to Email Money for Free from a Tangerine Account to Another Person
Have you set up a chequing account at Tangerine? Did it go well? Please share your experience with a comment.
Yes, we bank with Tangerine.ca among other places. If you open your first account ever with Tangerine (or ING Direct) using our Orange Key below, and deposit $100 before August 31, 2017, you and we will both get a cash bonus of $50 each. (Yes, they did extend the promotion for another few months!) All you have to do is enter the Orange Key 46470587S1 when you are opening your Account, and you’re set to go.
Just copy our Orange Key, then click on this Tangerine link to see the details and apply for an account. (Note: it only applies to people with no existing or previous accounts with Tangerine or ING Direct.)