As tax-filing time approaches, I’ve started rounding up my tax slips including my T5s for our savings and chequing bank accounts with EQ, Oaken, PC Financial, Tangerine and Zag Bank.
Use Caution Saving Electronic (and Paper) Copies of Your Tax Slips Including T5s
Be sure to keep your electronic copies in a secured location—they have valuable information such as your name, address and SIN number which could be used for identity theft!
How to Get and Print Your T5 Tax Form for Your EQ Bank Savings Account
- Sign in to your EQ Bank accounts.
- From the drop-down list under the Accounts tab, click on: Tax documents
- From the drop-down list under Select the tax document you want to generate, choose the T5 for the year of interest.
For example, I selected 2016 – T5 to complete my income tax return by April 2017.
- Click on the Generate document button.
- Wait a few seconds to a minute or two.
- The T5 will be displayed on your screen.
- Click on the Print or save button.
- When you are finished, near the bottom of the screen, click on the Back to tax documents button.
Interesting, no where do I seem to get a choice to save the T5 to my hard drive!
According to their online chat, I can only save the T5 if I use Google Chrome. I have no intention of using that program, so I will just scan and save my hard copy printout.
How to Get Your T5 Tax Forms for Your Oaken Financial Bank Accounts
Oaken Financial mails out its tax forms. So you’ll have to check your letter mail for your T5s and other tax forms.
How to Get Your T5 Tax Forms for Your PC Financial Bank Accounts
President’s Choice Financial mails out its tax forms. So you’ll have to check your letter mail for your T5s and other tax forms.
How to Get and Print Your T5 Tax Forms for Your Tangerine Bank Accounts
- Sign in to your Tangerine account/s.
- From the list on the left side of the screen, select My documents.
- Click on the link Tax receipts.
- From the drop-down box, select the year for which you wish the documents.
It’s probably easiest to leave the selections “All account types” and “All receipts” so that you don’t miss a slip unless you are looking for something specific.
- From the list of PDF files of receipts, click on the one you want to print or save first.
- A popup window will let you choose to Open the PDF file or to save it.
- If desired, select Open and then print the file; or
If desired, select Save and choose a destination to save the file. Be sure to keep your electronic copies in a secured location—they have valuable information such as your name, address and SIN number which could be used for identity theft!
NOTE: Tangerine combines the interest from your chequing and savings accounts onto a single T5 if the amount is $50 or more. You have to manually report any interest earned below $50 even if you did not receive a tax slip.
How to Get and Print Your T5 Tax Forms for Your Zag Bank Accounts
- Sign in to your Zag Bank account/s.
- Click on the Accounts tab.
- Click on the Statements link.
- From the Document Type: drop-down list, click on Year-End Tax Forms & Statements
- From the Tax Year: drop-down list, select the year of interest.
- From the Tax Forms: drop-down list, select T5, or just click on the View button.
Hmmm. I got an error message: The system is unavailable. Please try again later.
So no luck so far!
It’s probable that an error message is displayed because I had less than $50 of interest on my account and that there is no T5 for this account. In which case, I’ll have a LONG wait….
Aren’t Income Taxes Fun?
So now I’ve found the T5s for my bank accounts that earned more than $50 last year in interest, and I’ve added up the amounts I earned in interest for accounts that earned less than $50, I am one step closer to filing my income tax return for 2016. Oh joy!
Do you have a check list of all the T slips you need before you file your taxes? Have you ever missed a slip? Please share your tax stories with a comment.