There have been several CRA scams recently many of which have caused people to lose money and live in fear. The most recent one I encountered came as an email into my regular Bell email Inbox. The “sender” was listed as the Canada Revenue Agency and the “subject” was listed as “$288.54 Pending Tax Refund.” Of course I recognized it was a scam right away–because I haven’t even filed my taxes yet!
What Did the Text of the Fraudulent Email I Received Claiming to be from the CRA Say?
(Note: I cut the text from the email and posted it into Notepad, then copied it from Notepad into this note to exclude any links.)
Тах Rеfund Νоtіfісаtіоn
Аftег thе lаѕt аnnuаl саlсulаtіοnѕ οf уοuг fіѕсаl асtіνіtу, wе hаνе dеtегmіnеd thаt уοuг аге еlіgіblе tο гесеіνе а tаx геfund οf СΑD 288.54 , Рlеаѕе ѕubmіt thе tаx геfund геquеѕt аnd аllοw 6-9 dауѕ іn οгdег tο ρгοсеѕѕ іt.
Fіlіng dеаdlіnе: Аρгіl 5, 2017
Рlеаѕе fіlе уοuг іnсοmе tаx аnd bеnеfіt геtuгn οn tіmе tο mаκе ѕuге thеге аге nο іntеггuρtіοnѕ tο уοuг Саnаdа сhіld bеnеfіt, GЅТ/ΗЅТ сгеdіt, аnd сhіld dіѕаbіlіtу bеnеfіt ρауmеnt.
[Big Red Button titled: Claim Tax Refund]
2017 Саnаdа Rеνеnuе Αgеnсу (СRΑ)
How Do I Know This CRA Refund Email Is a Scam?
- The CRA does not send you email directly. It sends you a note telling you to sign in to your CRA account and read their email there.
- I did not file my income tax return yet.
- I will not be getting a refund.
- The CRA does not need you to do anything to claim your refund. They just mail you a cheque via Canada Post or make a direct deposit into your bank account. If they can’t find you, they are happy to keep your money forever.
What Should You Do If You Get This Scam Email NOT from the CRA?
If you get this note or a similar fraudulent email,
- do NOT click on any links!
- report it to your internet service provider
- delete the note after reporting it and empty your Trash bin
You may wish to run a scan on your computer for viruses as well.
Please be careful. There seems to be a new CRA scam invented every week or two!
Have you received this email, too? Or did you get one of the so-called phone calls from the CRA asking you to pay your back taxes by mailing them iTunes cards? Please share your fraud story with a comment.