I’ve mentioned before that we have way too many Petro-Points and that one of the highest value rewards we can redeem them for is a CAA Membership. Well, it’s almost the holidays so it’s time for me to do just that and get my Mom a CAA Membership renewal. It’s exactly the kind of present she wants: practical, useful (she called them twice last year for boosts on 2 different cars), doesn’t clutter up the house and doesn’t fill up the landfill with packaging. Oh, yes, she also wants some homemade chocolate raspberry fudge but I’m not telling whether she’ll be in luck. I was pleased to see that CAA is offering me a bonus this year just for redeeming some of our Petro-Points and using the CAA Dollars for a membership: win-win!
How Many CAA Dollars Do I Need to Pay for a CAASCO CAA Plus Membership?
First, I need to know how many CAA dollars I need for the gift.
Ok, the Plus level of membership costs $114 before tax. So I need at least $114 CAA dollars.
It “costs” 1 000 Petro-Points to buy one CAA dollar, so I need to redeem at least 114 000 Petro-Points.
Checking My Petro-Points Balance Online
Next, I wandered off to check my Petro-Points balance (and to top up my Fuel Rewards Card but that’s another topic.)
- Go to http://retail.petro-canada.ca/default.aspx
- Click on the link at the top called My Petro-Canada Account.
- In the Email field, type the email address you used when setting up your Petro-Points account.
- In the Password field, type your password.
- Click on the Log In arrow.
That’s what I thought: we could buy another TV.
- Click on the Logout link.
Yes, I could have redeemed my points on the My Petro-Canada site, but I want to get my CAA bonus, so I’m off to their website.
How to Get a Bonus for Redeeming Petro-Points for CAA Dollars
From what I know, this only applies for CAASCO, the southern Ontario CAA site. There may be similar offers in other parts of the country, though.
This particular deal is only offered December 1 – 31, 2014.
Go to caasco.com/redeempetropoints
(which leads you to http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/petropoints/3008.aspx?redir=caa )
Ah ha! So it’s just a big circle. I’m back on the Petro-Points website.
- Near the bottom of the screen is a link called Exchange Petro-Points for CAA Dollars.
- I clicked on it.
- I reached the Petro-Points sign in screen, so I logged in.
- From the Convert your Petro-Points to: drop-down list, I selected CAA Dollars.
- From the Select one of the following points amounts: drop-down list, I selected 129 000 which should pay for the membership plus tax, I hope.
- In the appropriate field, I typed in my CAA number.
- I clicked on Go.
The program advised that my CAA Dollars should show up in my CAA account within 72 business hours.
- I clicked on the Logout link.
Good stuff. Now I just have to wait till they do and then buy the renewal gift membership.
What Is the CAA Conversion Bonus?
Well, it’s nothing amazing. I’m supposed to get 2 500 Petro-Points for converting at least 10 000 Petro-Points to CAA Dollars. So that’s like getting a $2.50 saving on my CAA membership. It can also take up till February 15 2015 to receive the bonus. Still, it’s free money right?!
Do you try to use points to pay for your birthday gifts or holiday shopping? Have you used Petro-Points to buy CAA stuff like Cineplex movie passes or memberships? Or used the Best Buy e-Certificates to buy electronics? Please share your tips with a comment.