You can set Market Alerts for your CIBC Investor’s Edge self-directed account to send you reports on the most active stocks by percentage; the stocks reaching new 52-week highs or lows; the stocks with the largest changes in trading volume and more. These reports can be sent daily at one of three specified times. The Alerts are sent by email.
Here’s how to set up your desired Market Alerts.
Sign in to your CIBC Investor’s Edge Account.
From the menu on the left side of the screen, select Quotes and Research, then My Alerts.
Setting the Preferences for your Investor’s Edge Alerts
Before you can complete any details about the types of Alerts you wish to receive, you must complete the Preferences section.
- In the Email Address 1: text field, type the email address at which you wish to have Alerts delivered.
- Check the examples of the two message formats by clicking on the Example link beside the HTML and Text format choices. Unfortunately, the two alerts are not for the same type of message, which makes it a bit difficult to see some of the differences.
After deciding on the desired format for Alerts, click on the appropriate radio button beside HTML or Text.
- In the Email Address 2: text field, type a second email address, if desired. It is not required.
- Click on the desired Format for Alerts by selecting the radio button beside HTML or Text.
- In the Wireless address: field, type the address at which you wish to receive SMS text messages, if desired. It is not required.
Please note the warning from CIBC that a single alert might result in multiple text messages which might result in multiple charges from your wireless service provider. Please fully explore the costs of text messages before signing up for Alerts on your handheld device.
- If you do not wish to receive Alerts during an interval of one or more days, you can set a Vacation Stop. First click on the Suspend From box to select it, then from the appropriate dropdown lists, select the month, day and year for the first and last day of the interval for which you do not wish to receive Alerts.
- Review the Alerts Agreement by clicking on the Link in the Please Note section. (At the time of writing, this was a broken link!)
- Check your selections. If they are correct, click on the Save button.
There are 6 other tabs in the My Alerts section: Overview; Markets; Stocks; Watch List: Analyst Reports; and Alert History.
The Overview section summarizes which Alerts you have set, and links you to the Markets, Stocks, Watch List and Analyst Reports tabs.
To Set Market Alerts for your CIBC Investor’s Edge Account
On the My Alerts page, click on the Markets tab.
First, you must select from which stock exchange you wish to receive Market Alerts.
From the drop-down list, select: TSX; TSX Venture; NYSE; NASDAQ; AMEX.
Select from the following list of choices for that Exchange.
- Daily list of most active stocks, Percentage [gainers; losers; gainers and losers] to be sent at [Market Open 10-11 EST; Midday 12-1 EST; After Market Close 4-5 EST]
- Daily list of new 52-week highs/lows, New 52-week [Highs; Lows; Highs and Lows] to be sent at [Market Open 10-11 EST; Midday 12-1 EST; After Market Close 4-5 EST]
- Daily list of volume changes, Stocks with the largest [increases; decreases; increases or decreases] to be sent at [Market Open 10-11 EST; Midday 12-1 EST; After Market Close 4-5 EST]
- Daily list of gaps, stocks that opened at least 1% [Higher; lower; higher or lower] to be sent at [Market Open 10-11 EST; Midday 12-1 EST; After Market Close 4-5 EST]
- Daily list of breakouts, stocks whose [Low Price is Above Yesterday’s High; High Price was Below Yesterday’s Low; Low/High Price is Above/Below Yesterday’s High/Low] to be sent at [Market Open 10-11 EST; Midday 12-1 EST; After Market Close 4-5 EST]
- Daily list of stock splits to be sent at [Market Open 10-11 EST; Midday 12-1 EST; After Market Close 4-5 EST]
Review your selections and when they are correct, click on the Save button.
Once you have set a Market Alert It will be listed on the Overview tab page. To Edit or Delete it, you can click on the appropriate link on the Overview page.
- How to Set Stock and Price Alerts for a CIBC Investor’s Edge Self-Directed Account
- Pros and Cons of Email Alerts from CIBC Investor’s Edge
Do you use Investor’s Edge Market Alerts? Have they tipped you off just in time for decisive action? Please share your experiences with a comment.