There are currently two Windows-based programs that will let you calculate and NETFILE you 2012 Canadian Income Taxes online, for free! The first program I reviewed is called StudioTax. This second program is called GenuTax Standard 2012.
UPDATE: I hope to review GenuTax Standard 2013 in early 2014. In the meantime, here’s the results of my work with GenuTax Standard 2012 in early 2013.
How to File Your 2012 Taxes by April 30, 2013 Using Free GenuTax Standard Software
GenuTax software runs on Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 operating systems.
GenuTax does not handle a few specific situations, including
- It is not suitable for a farmer in the AgriStability or AgriInvest programs.
- It is not suitable if your business has its permanent establishment outside of the province or territory where you were resident on December 31, 2012.
- It is not suitable if you are reporting a NS Research and Development Tax Credit Recapture.
- While it can be used to NetFile federal taxes for residents of Quebec, it cannot file the Quebec provincial income tax return. That must be sent to Revenu Quebec.
The program is 37.05 MB. You will probably need a broadband (high speed) internet connection to download the file successfully. Users with only dial-up connections may find the time to download the file makes it difficult or impossible.
System Requirements for GenuTax Standard 2012 Software
If you want to check the computer system requirements and specifications before downloading the file, you can see them at http://www.genutax.ca/SysReq.aspx
To Get the GenuTax Standard Software to Calculate Your Canadian 2012 Income Taxes
To Download the Program
- Go to: http://www.genutax.ca/Downloadp.aspx
- Click on the link for the operating system for your computer. For example, click on Windows
- Vista or
- For the purposes of this article, I will continue with the details for downloading to XP.
- Click on the Download GenuTax Standard link.
- When prompted, click on the Save File button.
To Install the Program
- Navigate to the directory where you want to store the program, then click on the Save button.
- Open the directory where you saved the file, and double click on the GTStandardSetupV138.exe file.
- When prompted, click on the Run button.
- When prompted by the GenuTax Standard InstallShield Wizard click on the Next button.
- Read and review the License Agreement.
If you agree, select the radio button for I accept the terms in the license agreement.
If not, click on the radio button for I do not accept the terms in the license agreement.
- Click on the Next button.
- If you agree with installing the program in the suggested directory, click on the Next button.
- Click Install.
- If desired, click to select
Launch GenuTax Standard and/or
Show the Read Me file
Then click the Finish button.
- Review the ReadMe rtf (rich text format) file. When you are done, you can close the file.
For further information on downloading the software, please consult the GenuTax website at http://www.genutax.ca/Downloadp.aspx
Remember you can make a donation to support the software if you like it. Information is at https://www.genutax.ca/Donate.aspx
- Using Free GenuTax Software to Calculate Your 2012 Taxes and NETFILE Online by April 30, 2013
- How to Use Free StudioTax Software to Complete your 2012 Canadian Income Taxes and File Online
- How to Download and Install StudioTax Software to Calculate and File your 2012 Canadian Income Taxes Online for Free
Have you used GenuTax Standard to file your taxes? Do you like the interview style for data input? Please share your experiences with a comment.