I’ll admit it. I’m impatient. We’re getting a (miniscule) tax refund this year and I’m curious when the $22.47 will land in our chequing account. We filed the return that’s generating the refund using StudioTax 2012 on April 12. I wondered if there was some way to check the status of our filing at the CRA office. There is, but it doesn’t tell you much. Even so, here’s how you can check the progress of your income tax return for this year.
What You’ll Need to Check the Status of your Tax Return
To use Quick Access, you’ll need
- Your Social Insurance Number
- Your date of birth
- The amount you reported (right or wrong) for your Total Income on line 150 of your tax return
How to Check the Status of Your Tax Return Using Quick Access
- Go to the CRA website at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rfnds/stts-eng.html
- Click on the Quick Access link.
- If you want to review the rules, click on the Before You Start link.
- If you’re ok with them proceed: Click on the Sign in button.
- In the field, type your Social Insurance Number, then click on the Continue button.
- Type your year of birth, then select the month and day from the drop-down lists.
- Type in the amount you reported on line 150 of your tax return.
For me, it wanted what I reported in 2012.
If they haven’t processed your return, they will probably ask for what you reported in 2011. So this is a clue that they’ve looked at your return!Do not report any cents.
I got confused. Should I report the amount rounded up to the nearest dollar or not? I’m going to try not rounding first.Interesting! It did not expect me to round up! I entered the value by truncating the cents, not by rounding it to the correct nearest dollar.
- Click on the Continue button.
- Read the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you agree, click the I agree link.
- Oh, way cool! Not only does it say our return has been assessed, but it tells us what date it expects to deposit the refund! Baby gets a new basketball next week!Because it’s Quick Access it does not tell you the amount of the refund. You need to use My Account to get the details on your tax return. My Account is a much more secure system and you have to apply for access to it.
- If you want, while you’re in here, you can check your 2013 RRSP contribution limit, if your tax return has been assessed. Click on the RRSP deduction limit link.
- WARNING: When you’re done, be sure to
- click on the Logout button.
- Then click on the Exit button.
- Then close your browser window.
When Will I Get my Money?
So we submitted our tax returns on April 12 and they are supposed to deposit our money on April 22. If that happens, it will have taken 10 days to get our money.
- How to File Your Taxes Online for Free Using StudioTax 2012
- How to File Your Taxes Online for Free Using GenuTax Standard 2012
Have you submitted your tax return? Are you getting a whopping return or do you have to pay a horrific amount? Please share your great news or grievances with a comment.