2 thoughts on “Finding Information on the CRA My Account Website to Prepare Your Tax Return

  1. ok, so I have a “My Service Canada” account and IF I’m understanding this correctly, I also need to create a “Canada Revenue Account” in order to file my taxes on line? Thanks for any info you can give me.

    • You shouldn’t need to create anything new at My Service Canada.

      To file your taxes online, you need to have a computer program. There are quite a few free approved ones, like StudioTax and GenuTax. The list is on the CRA website at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/ndvdls/netfile-impotnet/crtfdsftwr/menu-eng.html You want to choose a program with Autofill my Return if you want it to pre-load some of the info into your tax forms.

      When you work with the computer software at some point it will ask you to sign in to your CRA My Account so it can download the data into your tax file.

      If you have access to your Service Canada My Account, you should be able to review which T-slips they have on file for you etc. It’s worth looking at these before you start doing your taxes in case you notice some are not available yet. For e.g. not all of your T5 or T3s may be in the My Account list and you could understate your income if you didn’t add the info from your paper forms to your return before filing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>