Wow, is it March already? My stack of T3 and T5’s is getting tall so It must be almost time to file our taxes for 2015 before the deadline of April 30, 2016. I’ll start by downloading StudioTax 2015 for Windows as I usually do so that I can test t to NETFILE one of our returns for free.
Does StudioTax 2015 Run On All Windows Platforms?
Nope. As well as Win 3.01, Win 95, and Win 98, StudioTax also no longer runs on Win XP. That’s Microsoft and the CRA’s fault, though, as you can read on the website.
StudioTax 2015 is available for
- Windows Vista SP2
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1 and
- Windows 10.
I’m going to download it onto my fancy new boat anchor, so I’ll be reviewing the Windows 10 version.
StudioTax also has a version to run on Macs.
Downloading StudioTax 2015
- Go to the StudioTax website and read through the information about this year’s edition.
If you are using Windows, click through to the download page at http://www.studiotax.com/en/?page=2
For Mac users, click through to http://www.studiotax.com/en/?page=11
- NOTE: You can download StudioTax for previous tax years from the download page. Make sure you choose the 2015 version if you are calculating the tax on your 2015 income to submit your return by the April 30 2016 deadline.
You can download either the .EXE file directly, or to save download time and space, you can download the .ZIP file. They both contain the same software. I’ll download the .EXE file so I don’t have to unzip it.
For the line that says Latest 2015, click on the link: EXE
- The Opening StudioTax2015Intstall.exe window will pop open.
It says the EXE file is 32.1 MB. I have room for that.
Click on the Save File button.
- If you are like me, you now have to find your Downloads folder.
Ah, there it is. In my Downloads folder, I have a subfolder called Default. That’s where the file is downloaded to.
Installing StudioTax 2015 on a Windows 10 Computer
- Next, I need to install StudioTax 2015 so that I can test it out.
NOTE: You will need to have the .Net 4.5 framework on your machine. You can read the info about this on the StudioTax download page. Most computers will already have this available.
On your computer, find the file: StudioTax2015Install.exe
- Double click on the file’s name.
- The StudioTax 2015 Setup box pops up.
From the drop-down list, select the language you use, such as English (Canada).
- The Welcome to StudioTax 2015 Setup box opens.
Read the information, then click on the Next button.
- StudioTax will suggest a folder in which to store the program. You can select it or click on the Browse button to pick a different folder.
Once you’ve picked your desired folder, click on the Next button.
- Read through the License Agreement.
If you can accept its terms, click to select the radio button beside “I accept the terms in the License Agreement.”
Click on the Next button.
- Click on the Install button.
- If necessary, read the security message from your computer, and click on the Yes button.
Click on the Finish button.
You’re done! StudioTax 2015 is now on your computer and ready to use!
How to Start StudioTax 2015
Find the icon on your desktop and double click.
Navigate to the folder for StudioTax 2015. Double click on the StudioTax.exe file.
Don’t forget to submit a donation to StudioTax after you’re finished using it so that they can afford to offer it to us again next year!
- [How to Use StudioTax 2015 and the CRA Website to “Autofill” Information Into your 2015 Tax Return] not yet posted!
Do you use StudioTax to prepare and send in your tax return for free? Do you find it fast and easy to install like I do? Please share your views with a comment.